Tuesday, October 5, 2010

PINK OCTOBER



The trees are turning colors, the mornings are getting crisp and the days are getting shorter.  IT IS BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH!

One in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their life time, this might be scary to you but it doesn’t need to be.  One of the best things you can do for yourself is to have an annual mammogram.  This test can find breast cancer at an early stage, much earlier than can be found with a physical breast exam.  Which means if you do a self breast exam every month and a yearly mammogram along with a doctor’s breast exam every year, even if you are the one in 8 women your chances of survival are very, very high.

Every September the Susan G. Komen Race For the Cure includes hundreds of thousand of people who put on their pink shirts, hats, shoes and wigs to show support of friends, family members, co-workers and friends of friends.  People can walk, run or even sleep for the cure.  I’ll bet you didn’t know you could sleep for the cure.  I believe 2010 was the first time for this option.
This show of support raises money for breast cancer research.  What many don’t know is that the Susan G. Komen foundation also provides thousands of free mammograms for women without insurance or funds for this screening test.  If you are without funds to pay for your mammogram please contact Susan G Komen Foundation or ask your health care provider for information.

Recently a report stating mammograms don’t need to be done before a woman is 50 years old.  I feel this is wrong. That report studied the cost benefits of early breast screening.  Do you want to wait to have your first mammogram just to save money, rather than to save your life?  Many mammograms show no sign of cancer, which is what I hope for each year when I get mine.  I started getting mammograms when I was 35, because I felt a lump when I was doing a self breast exam.  It turned out that the lump was a normal part of my hormone monthly cycle … was I relieved!  But it taught me that I needed to become more familiar with my body and to pay attention to changes in it.  I strongly recommend you do the same.

Breast cancer is more likely to occur as we age, but that is not always the case, I’ve known women in their 30’s who have breast cancer.  And I’ve known women in their 90’s who have breast cancer, age is not always a factor, the report I was speaking about, saying to wait until 50 for mammograms, was based upon statistics.  I don’t want you to be a statistic.

I’ve heard from many women that they don’t have mammograms because they are afraid that they will be told they have cancer.  I can understand this coping skill.  It is called "ignore things and they will go away".  I am sorry to say this is not always true.  It can be scary waiting for your mammogram results.
Be assured most Breast Health centers notify you within a couple of days of your results.  The wait may be long but knowing the results can save your life.  Remember earlier is better when it comes to fighting cancer.

Another reason women put off having mammograms is because “they hurt”.
Well, your breasts are squeezed during the test, this is true.  The entire test takes less than 15 minutes.  If your breasts are tender please tell the technician this as you enter, she should be sensitive to your problem.  Very few women can’t tolerate a few minutes of breast squeezing.  If you are one of the very few that can’t take the discomfort for a few minutes, talk to your doctor and find out if they can have an ultrasound instead of a mammogram.  Most breast health centers are able to do this for you.

Men, I haven’t forgotten you.  What can you do about early breast cancer screening?  You have women in your life that you care about, a mom, a sister, an aunt, a friend or a wife, remind them to have a mammogram.  You can be gentle and caring with your reminder, this doesn’t have to be an embarrassing conversation.
Yes, men can get breast cancer, although it extremely uncommon.  If you have family history of breast cancer among the women in your family, please mention this to your health care provider!

EARLY BREAST CANCER SCREENING SAVES LIVES!
Have your mammogram every year at age 40 and beyond, because you want to have many years beyond 40.

October is breast cancer awareness month so why not make October the month you have your mammogram every year?
YOU CAN DO IT ... for yourself and for those who love you and want to keep you around.
You can find more resources at   The Cancer Site

No comments:

Post a Comment